Mike Wagner’s done it again. He’s lobbed a timely brand-centric post linking moments of truth in the family with brand moments of truth in business. He cites the mom-delivered line “That’s how we do things in this family” as the ultimate brand management dictum.
While Mike reminded me in an offline conversation that many companies (dis)function like families, I found myself wondering how would we act if our moms actually worked alongside us every day?
- Would we use only brand-appropriate language?
- Would we be more diligent about sending thank you notes to our clients and vendors?
- Would we get our work done on time, checking it twice before leaving the office?
- Would we say please and thank you – and mean it – to our co-workers?
- Would we follow up on our promises to others?
Or would we slip out at night, hang out with undesirable vendors and drink cheap beer?